Basic gist of the feedback I’m getting;
“IF YOU DON’T LIKE RAPE DON’T READ ABOUT IT THEN”
Wooooow. I’m getting anon hate for daring to criticize a rape of a minor in a book.
Thoughts on the first 100 pages of Game of Thrones
Not Good Things:
- Rape is not cool. I don’t enjoy reading about it. And it’s just brushed off in the story as “these are the bad people, this is what bad people do.” The gravity of the situation was lessened by the box these people were put in, which brings me to my next point,
- Why are all these brutish people brown?
- Oh, and INCEST WTF. IN MULTIPLE PLACES.
- And finally, why am I reading about a grown man raping a 13 year old? Yeah, she’s his wife, but SHE’S THIRT-FRICKIN-TEEN. There was even this little blurb about her guiding him to having sex with her (which I think is there to help us readers feel better about it), but little girls can’t consent. I don’t want to read too much into this, but from the way it is written, it sounds like the author is okay with this.. ew.
- Wolves, Arya, and Tyrion. Yep.
I’m gonna keep reading, because it’s an interesting story and very gripping, but I might end up quitting at some point. God, that sex scene was uncomfortable to read. It still makes me cringe.
“No?” he said, and she knew it was a question. She took his hand and
dfgkljslgjldkfgkldgdlkfjg“Yes,” she whispered as she sdklgjsdlkfjlskdjf.