Reasons Why I Like Brave
- Merida has a nice life and appreciates it.
- Merida’s parents have a loving, fun relationship.
- Merida groans, acts her age, and doesn’t want to rush into being an adult. She has no love interest.
- Angus actually acts like a horse, not a human in a horse body.
- The witch is a refreshing take on the traditional witch, as she is neither good nor evil. Same with the villain, Mordu.
I think this film is a good example for young girls. It shows that you can love who you are, and that if you’re not ready to do something, you shouldn’t do it. Merida makes a bad choice in the course of the film, but she faces the consequences bravely (no pun intended.)
We need more entertainment like this. Girls in our society need these messages. Thank goodness Miyazaki isn’t the only one dishing it out anymore.